Thursday 29 October 2015

Acid // Exfoliating Toner for beginners by Quixotic Kitty!

In today's post, I am going to talk about acid/ exfoliating toner.


 Don't let the word acid freak you out. It's a gentle acid, that is suitable on the skin in your face. Not the corrosive ones we use in the laboratory.



What does it do?

Unlike the physical exfoliator (micro beads/ scrubs) acid/ exfoliating toner uses gentle acid to exfoliate the surface of our skin. Dead skin cells will be gone with a few swipes on the face!

 As opposed to micro beads to exfoliate the skin, some scrubs have rough edges and could make micro tear in the skin. I personally find acid/ exfoliating toners to be gentler on my skin.

How many kinds are there?
There are many types of strength when it comes to acid/ exfoliating toner. There are the gentle ones where you can use twice daily and there are stronger ones where you should only use twice a week. This depends on the needs of your skin.

I prefer an acid toner that is gentle enough for everyday use. This is because I live in the city and I am exposed to pollutants that could stay on top of my skin. Also, a gentle, everyday exfoliating toner will help to prepare my skin for a better absorption of serums and facial oils.

(Left) First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads, Pixy Glow Tonic from Pixy by Petra, (Right) Clarins Gentle Exfoliator

 The one that I use is Pixi Glow Tonic from Pixi by Petra. I bought this for £ 18 when I visited London. You can get this via pixibeauty.co.ukor cultbeauty.co.uk.

My sister, who is an avid skincare junkie owns four acid toners, but she only recommends two. She has a sensitive skin, while mine is normal. She loves Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner at RM 161.10 and First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads at RM 110. Clarins' toner is a little strong, hence it should be used thrice a week maximum, while First Aid Beauty's (you can get this at Sephora Malaysia) exfoliating pads is gentle enough to be used everyday.

The other two were Clinique Clarifying Lotion and Ren Clarimatte Clarifying Toner. She claims that both of these toners have alcohol in them, which dries her skin out. I have not tried these two yet.

(Left) Ren Clarimatte Clarifying Toner // (Right) Clinique Clarifying Toner

Why would I need an acid/ exfoliating toner?
 Some people think that toner is not a need and does very little for your skin. I disagree. Acid toner gives my skin an extra oomph, especially if I put on my facial oil right after before I sleep. I will wake up with a dewy-looking skin. Moisturized and supple. Not just that, exfoliating toner has helped me with pimples. It helps my pimple scar to fade quicker and "kill" off any incoming zits. Oil seeds are no longer in sight too.

Is it worth my money?
In my opinion, as a skincare junkie, yes. A 250ml exfoliating toner could last you for a year. I got mine 8 months ago, and I have only used half of the bottle. For the benefits that I get for using this on my face every night, it is worth it.


Below, is a picture of me with the result!


If you need more convincing, you can check out skincare expert, Caroline Hirons at carolinehirons.com or youtube.com/carolinehirons or, Lisa Eldridge, makeup artist at youtube.com/lisaeldridge.

Xxx Quixotic Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment